Monday, February 28, 2011

Peanut butter


Today Jackie sat with Jessie and I for lunch. At first I was a bit nervous. He’s tall and quiet, an intimidating combination when you don’t know someone very well. After a while though, he seemed to warm up to the idea that I was a friend.

Jessie and Jackie are quite adventurous. They want to try new things, go places, and really experience America while they have the chance. They explained to me that it was very rare for a student to get a visa to go to school in America. They met when they were in the visa office, and were surprised to find they were going to the same school. Since they’ve been in America, they’ve had the opportunity to go to Disneyland and New York City. I think they will probably have seen more of America than I have by the time they go back.

On that thought, they wanted a suggestion as to where they should go on their next date. Since they don’t have a car, it was difficult to think of viable walking options. The new bus that goes to 7th Street should be a great help though. I was able to give them a few places. I could tell I was the only one they’d asked because they had no clue what any of the places I was talking about were like. I really think the program they’re in should have some sort of taxi system so they can get out and see the city on their own terms. Maybe a volunteer basis with us conversation partners?

Jessie seems to really be picking up on English. She’s very thoughtful of her words. I think she’ll be able to pass any test with flying colors come May. I’m so proud at her ability to pick up on pronunciations and sayings. She really wants this, and I hope she gets it.

I introduced Jessie and Jackie to peanut butter today. I had them try it plain and on apples. It was humorous to watch their reactions to the paste-y texture and semi-sweet taste. Neither of them liked it plain, but they did enjoy it on apples. I like introducing them to American foods. It’s a sort of way to say, “Hey, you’ll have to tell your family about this one!”


No comments:

Post a Comment