Thursday, February 10, 2011

Araby


I know that I did the LRA over this piece but it really did mean a lot to me. 

When I first read the story, I could relate only too well. I really feel as if this little boy was me, only in a male and a love-affair form. I can't relate the number of times I've been let down and these epiphany moments. They come fast, and often.

I can relate to the high ideals followed by the swift defeat because of the optimism I feel live has. It's more than just the dilly dallying and whimsical thoughts of the young; it's a hope for people in general. I feel as if this boy got a shocking wake up call from reality of what his life could easily look like. 

The idea that he can’t recognize what path is life is headed down is all too common, especially being in college. When we take a step back and realize that we are taking the steps to our own unhappiness. The irony is that he was trying to run from the same relationship he is headed right into. He doesn’t want to be like his aunt and uncle and yet that is exactly what he will end up with.

I feel like this story transcends the obvious meaning of getting one’s heart broken because it’s all about the loss of innocence; The ruining of a dream. That fall from the selfish and underdeveloped desires to the humble and accepting reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment