Monday, February 7, 2011

Chinese New Year

Over lunch today, Jessie and I discussed the Chinese New Year. She explained to me how she did get to skype with her family, because that is the most important part of the festivities, eating with one's family. She told me how the Chinese students in Waits all cooked a traditional dinner together. Apparently along the way they set off the fire alarms twice. I guess Chinese cooking isn't the same on American ovens. Nevertheless, she said they had a great time. It was just so interesting to see how dedicate they were to their traditions. I guess it would be similar to Independence Day or Thanksgiving for us.

I got to learn more about the Chinese years of the animal and just how important they are for them. Jessie also explained how they believe in the elements and how one can lack them. In return, they may wear a piece of jewelry to "balance them out." The amount of superstition or tradition they have is just astounding to me. I know we have superstitions but they are typically limited to sports or old wives tales.

Jessie and I also talked about what she and I both did over the break. Apparently it gets a lot colder in China, but that didn't stop the students from proving it by going out in the cold in nothing but short sleeves. It was interesting to hear how similar we were on what we did over the snow break and how different we were too. I did a lot of studying and work over break, while she relaxed more. However, we both went out and played in the snow. It's great to see the sterotypes break down and really get to know people. Some say the Chinese are always so studious, but we forget how much alike we really are. I'm looking forward to next week when Jessie walks me through the stir fry line and teaches me what's "good!"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bailey, Thanks for the good post. I liked reading that the Chinese students in Waits set off the fire alarm twice. Smokey stir fry maybe. your conversation seemed to go well. I am so glad. I look forward to reading more of your respones. dw

    ReplyDelete