Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Well I'm Never going Up in(to) Michigan

This story took me by surprise, plain and simple. I realize one must have a professional academic mindset when attending college but this was just a little too difficult to swallow.

It was less descriptive than our last rape selection, but it was human, tangible. It was almost as if you could reach through the pages and fight back for Liz. Yet, in the end, her own enemy was herself.

First, it was rape. There is no question in my 21st century mind that she did not want it (sex in this case) nor did she understand what was going on. She was innocent. Even if she was flirty, never, never, never, is it acceptable to violate another's person under any circumstances.

Next, she was a head case, but aren't we all? She lived in the confines of her mental processes and when those thoughts manifested into action she was unprepared to handle the situation. I feel like this is a problem in our society even today. This story reads just like the plot line of "He's Just NOT That Into You. " If a guy doesn't talk to you unless he's drunk, he doesn't like you. Plain and simple. But that's a tangent.

She lived in her head. Unfortunately, I do that. I sympathize with her. She had this grand ideas of love, happiness, and bliss and they were torn apart quicker than you can say whiskey. This reads like my biography. No, I have not experienced rape, but I have experienced the confidence of the opposite sex that only alcohol can bring. It's disgusting.

I believe a change needs to be made in our gender roles. She immediately felt the need to comfort him in her shellshocked state. It's parallel to the idea that women belong in the house and in a nurturing position. That's just plain morbid.

Finally, I still think that Jim would avoid her. He would find it awkward because he doesn't know her and there relationship even in a platonic state hasn't been established. He won't want to deal with her attachment, even if it's solely based on disgust. Yes, he'll try again when he's drunk, but only because he still wants to use her. Drunk talk is sober thoughts right? So he did think about her, even if it was for his own selfish reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment