Thursday, March 3, 2011

This is What Dreams are Made Of

I am pleased to say I found an edition published just four days before my birthday. While searching through the June 15, 1935 edition of the The New Yorker, I couldn't help but feel the optimism and irony literally jumping off the page.

While the articles themselves were intriguing, it was the ads that made such a profound impact on me. They all played up the stereotypes about the prodcut they were involving. Maybe I've taken one too many media analysis classes but the themes were ridiculous.

First, the brunt nature of the wording of the ads ranged from offensive to flowery.
     "Sea-smocks--the new marvel of the sea. They excel in feminine grace, yet they glory in freedom of moevment..."-Peck and Peck, Fifth Avenue
     "It's lazy time. Lots of outdoors. Lots of smoking, when you're hot enought without it..." - Spud Cigarrettes
     "For those who are not slim."- Abercrombie and Fitch (real surprise there)

It's no wonder in my mind now why modernist writers did what they did: write like they meant every word or hide their meanings in layers and layers of text. They time period was littered with parenting from every angle. I believe we've mastered the art of subtly now, but the amount of finger pointing going on here would make a your grandmother blush.

Another intersting fact was the number of alcohol ads. Yes, prohibition had just ended two years previously but my goodness. You would have thought these people could drink a fish dry!

The cliche and whit of the inserts made me smile. There is a parallel to the writings of the 30s and my own style. The lead of each post pulled the reader in, as it should, but not for its factual information but more for its intriguing nature. It would be more than fun to meet these writers and get inside of their head. They spoke with both eloquence and brashness. In today's standards, they broke the rules and made them up.

The comic pictures that are famous in the New Yorker haven't changed much since the 30s. Some are still applicable even today. One such comic depicts an university graduate as he crosses the stage to recieve his long awaited diploma. Upon reaching the headmaster he is told:

     "This might be an appropriate day, Peterson, to speak to your father about the mortgage on the Chemistry Building."

Funny how the "good ole boy system" still thrives and flourishes.

When reading over the social section of the what to see and where to be seen ads I came across an ad for the Rainbow Room in the Rockafellar Building. I've walked past that building so many times while staying in New York and I've never been up to see the view from the highly publicized Rainbow Room. It felt like a call from the past to see the ad. Next time I'm in New York, I must go. It's like I'm destined to be there.

The title of this post is a reference to the optimism surrounding every aspect of the magazine. No, it was not all politically correct by our standards but there definately was a yearning to be something more than what they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment